Monday, May 26, 2014

top 5

Since Steve has completed his first week as the Bishop, here are a list of the top 5 things we've been told or asked.  I wanted to keep a list because, well, some are pretty classic.

"Congratulations."
You always hear this when someone becomes the Bishop.  I've never been sure why.  I know it's a nice gesture, but it always kinda makes me laugh.  "Congratulations for what?!" is what I want to say, because we didn't do anything!

"Whoa--better you guys than us;" or "The Bishop is just so busy!" or 
"Bishops make so many sacrifices."  
It is said different ways, but the main idea here being "You guys are really in for it."

"I was so surprised!"
We figured a lot of people would be surprised it was Steve.  We heard so many "top 3" lists of who was going to be the next Bishop during the week--with very few "Steve Hoopes" on there!!  That includes one "top 3" list texted to me about a half hour before church started from a family who moved away!

"I think they got the callings confused!!" 
This response refers to our good friends, the Christensens, who were called to serve in the Spanish branch the same day Steve was made Bishop.  He speaks Spanish, she does not.  It is understandable as Steve and I both speak Spanish, and our friend was on many "top 3" lists for the new Bishop!  I guess we will just have to trust the Stake President on this one and assume they knew what they were doing!

"How old are you?"
Steve has been asked this several times.  Not exactly sure how to take this one.  He is 39, by the way, until December. :)

We have also received hugs and kind words, encouraging texts and emails, and even some treats over the past week.  We have really appreciated all of it.  From the words of Elder Neil A. Andersen:

"I have heard President Monson say, 'Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.'  I know this is true, and it gives me hope looking beyond my own inadequacies.  I know that when we are on the Lord's errand, he will be with us, he will strengthen us, he will build our capacities." 

So here we go!

3 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, I hope my text did not make it on the list! :) Although, I think I am safe that I am not included in your top 5...phew! Steve will be great. And you too. Glad I get to see you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i heard the news!! my first thought was yes!! he is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a strange day when your friends start getting called as bishop. I will have to transition from "Spandex Steve" to "Bishop Hoopes" ;)

    ReplyDelete