Wednesday, September 9, 2015

tender mercies

Things have worked out.  I really knew they would, even though it was easier to freak out about them or complain,  or decide that we can't move until this or that happens.  For family night, we all listed things that we were worried about with moving, and how in just a couple weeks, they have been resolved or on their way to no longer being worries.  I had more than anybody.

Jake:  having no friends; I met new people

Ali: schools and friends and that I wouldn't make enough friends like my old friends;  I found friends.  I was also worried about our house not working out for us; the house is ok.  I was worried that there wouldn't be a good orthodontist but I think we found one.

Emmy:  I worried that I wouldn't like the house;  I sort of like it. I'm just glad we didn't have to move to another continent!

Steve: job commuting and liking it?  Everything's been awesome.  Biking buddies--all of the Bishopric!

Jill:  finding a gym I liked, new schools and friends for the kids and would they be happy?  Changing Emmy's baptism;  found a gym that I love, kids are making friends and are happy at school, baptism is being planned and going ok.

There were also a lot of unresolved issues as we began to make the move that concerned me:
  • We didn't have renters for our house yet
  • Walnut Grove Elementary was full
  • Was the house on Black Ave. going to work out ok?  We hadn't even been inside!
  • The Pleasanton Residence Inn was full and had been full the entire month of August
  • The moving truck could take up to 10 business days to arrive.
However,
  • As soon as we got our house cleaned up and ready to go (which was a modern day miracle itself), we found renters for our house.  We didn't have to pay rent and mortgage the same month like we were worried about.
  • Alisal Elementary is almost as close as Walnut Grove and the girls like it there
  • The house is in a great location and has an amazing yard and it will work!
  • The Pleasanton Residence Inn opened up our 2nd night here--the night before school started.  We only stayed one night in Livermore.
  • Moving truck was here in record time--Pleasanton, CA was its first stop of many.
As I later explained to my siblings in an email:

I found this quote from Elder Bednar that I loved, so I thought I would share.  This moving thing has been pretty hard.  I don't know why I've been surprised at how hard it is, but it's tough.  There are moments (frequently) when I wonder what the heck we did.  We miss everything about Issaquah and our "old" life.  We miss the important stuff like family, friends, and taking care of a ward we loved, to the little things like carpet, Zeek's Pizza, and our big kitchen with tons of counter space.
And the hard part for me has been I don't feel like I ever got a resounding YES! answer.  We prayed, we fasted, we went to the temple, and still my head and my heart were not on the same page.  Maybe it was just my stubbornness and unwillingness to accept or recognize a YES answer because I didn't want to move.  Steve felt sure that this was the best thing for us, and the job opportunity was easy to love, so here we are.  Along the way, there were a couple very clear moments when I felt complete peace about decisions we were making--the date we chose to move so we could be here for the first day of school, and the house we chose to rent.  Other things have fallen into place as hoped and prayed for, but it's still hard for me to believe we gave up so many wonderful things to come to California.  Again.  And now, the quote:
"In many of the uncertainties and challenges we encounter in our lives, God requires us to do our best, to act and not be acted upon, and to trust in Him.  We may not see angels, hear heavenly voices, or receive overwhelming spiritual impressions.  We frequently may press forward hoping and praying--but without absolute assurance--that we are acting in accordance with God's will.  But as we honor our covenants and keep the commandments, as we strive ever more consistently to do good and to become better, we can walk with the confidence that God will guide our steps."
Here's to hoping our steps were guided!! :/  Thanks to all of you for supporting us and not asking us if we were crazy.  :)  Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment